Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A word to local missionaries

1Corinthians 9:18-23 

18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

"Missionaries," would do well to consider these words from Paul, a seasoned, God-blessed, successful 'missionary.' Brethren we ought to consider that we are to be "all things to all people" for the "Gospel's sake,"so that they may "come to Christ." We must consider this example before we think to insist on our own cultural mindsets and practices. We must minister to people as they are, not force our ways upon them, with little regard for their culture or feelings. As Paul said, "I abuse not my power in the Gospel." 

We must remember our Greatest Example, the Lord Jesus Christ, who humbled Himself, and came to us as a man, that we might be saved. He left His home in glory, to enter our "human" culture. Fellow "missionaries" (American, Korean, or other) consider these words, as the servant is not above his Lord (Matthew 10:24). If it was the manner of Paul, and the example of our Lord, let us be wise and follow it, lest we offend some, and they hear not the Gospel. 

"Of these things put them in remembrance ..." (2Timothy 2:14);

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness (4) He is proud, knowing nothing ..." (1Timothy 6:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment